Kevin Hart has formally stepped down because the host of the upcoming Academy Awards after going through controversy over lately resurfaced tweets from almost a decade in the past, containing homophobic remarks and offensive slurs.
Hart took to Twitter Thursday night time to announce his determination, whereas extending an apology to the LGBTQ neighborhood over his feedback.
“I have made the choice to step down from hosting this year’s Oscar’s,” Hart wrote. “This is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing talented artists. I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past.”
“I’m sorry that I hurt people,” he continued in a following tweet. “I am evolving and want to continue to do so. My goal is to bring people together not tear us apart. Much love & appreciation to the Academy. I hope we can meet again.”
The publish comes lower than two hours after the comedian defiantly mentioned he wouldn’t apologize in a video he shared to Instagram, claiming that he’d “addressed this several times” over time and did not really feel he wanted to achieve this once more.
Hours after Hart confirmed that he’d been tapped to host the 91st Academy Awards on Tuesday night, numerous offensive remarks tweeted by Hart between 2009 and 2011 — a lot of which embody anti-gay slurs and homophobic insults — started circulating on-line, and a few of these offended by his tweets began the motion calling for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to rescind their internet hosting provide.
The 39-year-old actor first broke his silence on the controversy Thursday afternoon in a video explaining that he is a special particular person now than he was, and including that he is “in a great place [in his life]. A great mature place, where all I do is spread positivity.”
However, after his first try at addressing the scandal failed to fulfill many who had been upset by his previous remarks, Hart claims the Academy reached out and offered him with an ultimatum.
“So I just got a call from the Academy, and that call basically said, ‘Kevin, apologize for your tweets of old. Or we’re gonna have to move and find another host.’ Talking about the tweets from 2009, 2010,” Hart mentioned in a brand new video posted Thursday night. “I chose to pass. I passed on the apology.”
“This is not the first time this has come up, I’ve addressed it, I’ve spoken on it. I’ve said where the rights and wrongs were. I’ve said who I am now versus who I was then. I’ve done it. I’ve done it!” a seemingly exasperated Hart mentioned. “I’m not gonna continue to go back and tap into the days of old, when I’ve moved on, and I’m in a completely different space in my life.”
The comedian additionally continued to place blame and direct his ire at those that resurfaced his tweets within the first place, insinuating that they did so out of malicious spite or in an effort to acquire non permanent fame.
“The same energy that went into finding those old tweets could be the same energy you put into finding [my] response to the questions that have been asked years after years after years,” Hart mentioned. “We feed the internet trolls and we reward them. I’m not gonna do it, man. I’m gonna be me. I’m gonna stand my ground.”
Ultimately, Hart mentioned that even internet hosting the Oscars wasn’t sufficient to get him to again down on his stance, however appeared conciliatory in his remaining remarks directed towards the academy.
“I’m thankful and appreciative of the opportunity. But if it goes away, no harm, no foul,” Hart concluded.
The defiant video comes 4 hours after Hart first broke his silence on the mounting outrage.
The controversial tweets in query have painted Hart’s previous opinions of the LGBT neighborhood in a starkly adverse gentle, regardless of his assertions that he has matured.
One of the 2011 tweets that garnered loads of outrage reads, “Yo if my son comes home & try’s 2 play with my daughters doll house I’m going 2 break it over his head & say n my voice ‘stop that’s gay’.”
In one other of the tweets in query, Hart jokes that somebody’s Twitter profile pic seems to be “like a gay billboard for AIDS.”
Guardian reporter Benjamin Lee was one of many first journalists to name out Hart’s previous remarks, sharing a group of screenshots of the offending tweets, writing, “I wonder when Kevin Hart is gonna start deleting all his old tweets?”
ET has reached out to the Academy for touch upon Hart’s position as Oscars host because it now stands.
Following Hart’s announcement on Tuesday that he could be internet hosting the Oscars, watch the video beneath for a glance again at when the comedian first talked about to ET how a lot he’d love the gig.